Sunday, September 1, 2019

Guided Reading

STEM day was a hit! Three of four of the transport constructions were successful. As soon as I can, I will get the pictures from the Ipad to my computer. You may remember me mentioning at Open House that I'm a little tech challenged,lol.

Students have a practice comprehension test to review with you. I walked the class thru how to read the questions for understanding and how to go back to the text to identify the evidence for their answers. We box,highlight,or underline important clue words. Also numbering in the text the corresponding numbers of the questions.These are the strategies they should always apply when reading. They will have a test on Tuesday with the same format. There is nothing to study, this is comprehension.

Whole group instruction continues to be teaching theme. We will read a few fables and short texts. There will most likely be a quiz on Friday.
I will begin guided reading groups based on student assessments and in-class observations. One focus will be on identifying the main idea. These students will learn vocabulary and developing clear and specific answers to comprehension questions for supporting the main idea of a text.They will recognize and identify details from the text.
The other small group will read literary text .They will identify details and character analysis. The groups are based more on students' individual needs.

We are a tad behind in writing. Some students have chosen a "theme" to be the focus for their narrative writing. They will move onto completing their organizer. Others need to get started. During this block, I am meeting in small groups to work on developing detailed sentence structure. I have been modeling "show" don't just "tell". Example: I was mad. vs I slammed the door and yelled into my pillow. The class is learning how to describe actions so the reader can make a picture in their mind.

There is NO vocabulary workbook for the next 2 weeks. We are rotating with math standards.

                  Have a wonderful Labor Day!







No comments:

Post a Comment