Pointers on how to read for understanding the theme.
Theme focuses on the main character. How is this character at the beginning of the story? Focus on text evidence that describes the character's actions, words, thoughts, and feelings. As one reads the story, how does this character change? Who is the supporting character? What does he say or do to influence the main character? In the end, has the character's thoughts or feelings changed? If so, how?These are some of the questions I model daily as I read aloud to the class. Students should be asking themselves these same questions as they read.
Many are asking, how can I help my child improve their reading? Here are some behaviors I am seeing during instruction:
- doodling on their paper
- making patterns with highlighters/pens
- drawing on themselves
- sitting but not following along with the text (whether on the carpet or at the desk)
- not identifying the text evidence when given the information
- head down on desk
Please check your child's papers. if you notice any of these from the list,you could address the off task behavior.What can your child do to improve his/her grade? We need to be active learners by listening, participating, and asking questions. I can give students the tools for learning but behavior is in their control.
- SLT speeches are Sept. 20th-22nd
- Fall Break is Sept. 25th-29th
- Conference letters will be sent on Oct.2nd
- Picture day is Oct. 5th
- SLT Inauguration is Oct. 6th